J - Jamming


They don’t give a damn about any trumpet-playing band;
It ain’t what they call rock and roll”


Loud music is a part of life here, and it can occur at any hour of the day. Some is justified; some is not.

Let’s start with the justified. There are two main causes for this: cabanas and fishermen.

The beach cabanas (where locals and visitors enjoy a beverage and sometimes dancing) rely on music to attract customers and create a party atmosphere. I understand this; it’s part of their business model.

I also understand the fishermen. These are the guys that have been out fishing for 18 hours in an open-air 24’ deep hull, regardless of weather. After a day like that, I’d probably want to go home, crack a beer and turn up some music. So what if they get home at 3:00a? I don’t appreciate it myself, but I do understand it.

The unjustified are the car stereos. These are the kids (I’m old enough now; I can say that) that go down to the end of the Malecon at all hours and max out their traveling boom boxes. With a steep cliff for a backdrop, it creates a perfect amphitheater; the sound can be heard all the way across town. Calls to the police have had some limited effect in mitigating this.

The type of music is both a blessing and a curse. A friend of mine theorizes that everyone receives the same “greatest hits” CD when they buy a stereo; whether it is the fishermen, the cabanas or the kids, they all play the same Latin American chart toppers. Fortunately, most of the music is about irritating as Barry Manilow sitting on a tack; I don’t think Iron Maiden will ever make serious inroads here.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tales of Puerto Lopez - Theme Reveal

C - Close to Home

Z - Zen